[access-uk] Why are they so difficult?

  • From: "ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 22:03:38 +0200

Hi all
Can someone please explain to me why is it that the american services for the blind are so sticky? What I mean is this. Even though I live in South Africa, places like tnauk have no problem that I can subscribe, which is great for a politics student like me, and, although I can't borrow talking books from rnib directly, rnib have no problem that I ask the library here to lend the book from them, because I understand that I can't join the rnib talking book service because it is subsidised by your local authorities, but they are really fine about sending me braille books directly, so that's great. I also hear that the library for the blind here also does this, you guys even though you are overseas can also borrow directly and use it, as well as being able to use tape aids and services from South Africa if you wanted to. But now what irritates me, I found out about NFB newsline, and I wanted to get some of the newspapers and magazines from there because of the international news coverage and analysis in some of the American papers, but they won't let me join at all, even though I offered to pay a subscription! Only open to American citizens. Same thing with Bookshare, web braille and their library services. What exactly is the reason behind all this?
Thanks
Ari