[access-uk] Which way should a scannor's software be installed

  • From: "Alexander Shannon" <alexacts2v4@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 21:52:33 +0100

Hi all,

I have a scanner that I purchased some time ago when I had a windows 98 PC.

For various reasons to do with the fact that I spent a lot of time at college and then lived in locations where I could not have the scanner set up, I leant it to my father, who is sighted.

He is intending to bring it up to me tomorrow but I am not sure whether it will easily install on my Acer laptop which is running windows XP home, or whether it will be Jaws compatible.

I don't even remember the exact make of the scanner, but I do have some general questions regarding connecting it to the PC and the installation, but please note before answering the following questions that I have not connected the scanner to a PC running JFW before, but assuming that the scanner will work with JFW

1. Assuming that my father can find the driver disks for the scanner should the software be installed first before the scanner is connected?

2. If the driver disks can not be found but Windows XP is able to detect the scanner as a piece of new hardware is it safe to run it without the driver disks until they can be located?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Alexander Shannon