[access-uk] Re: Web access: we could be a force (was: Re: Sainsbury's)

  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:07:58 -0000

Can I suggest a few pointers that might help here.

First, it is very important to stress that you wish to spend
money with the company whose web site you are criticising.
No need to rub their noses in it, but Sainsbury's won't like
the idea that a group of you will spend your money at a
competitor's site.

Second, if you report an issue here, please state two
things.  1) The URL of the web site. 2) An e-mail address
where complaints can be sent.

Third, if possible, give the name of an individual to whom
you may have spoken or communicated with.  Remember that
some organisations have dozens of people in support roles.
If complaints are targeted at one person, rather than a
dozen different people, that one person ends up having more
clout.

Fourth, try to give simplified examples of your problem and
don't use screen reader jargon.  Comments like, "I can't
even find XYZ button with my JAWS cursor" will usually mean
nothing to the sighted guy receiving your complaint.
Whereas, "I am unable to use a mouse, and there does not
appear to be any keyboard method of pressing the Add to my
shopping trolley button."

George.

resources.
> But at the end of the day, if they don't see visually
> impaired users in action, it's an entirely abstract
concept.
> To them, they have to do all this annoying work.  OK so
lots