[access-uk] Re: Wanting to set up an FTP Server

Hi John,

An IP address can change due to a variety of circumstances.  For
example, if you were to power down your entire system, including the
modem, your ISP might have their systems set up to release that
particular address after a specified period of time, and allocate it
to someone else.  In networking terms, this is referred to as "Dynamic
Allocation".

Since IP addresses are rather like telephone numbers, this can cause
problems for people like myself who wish to access their systems while
travelling.  Hence in our case, we have a fixed IP address which does
not change.

George.

Date: 08/22/09 06:06:00