[access-uk] Re: Vista on a Netbook

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:27:35 -0000

The last thing you would ever want to do on a netbook is run virtualisation
software for the following reasons:
1)      A virtual machine must be given a chunk of your existing real RAM to
work when the VM is running.  So typically if you were to have a 2GB machine
you may have to give the VM maybe 512 or perhaps 1GB of your system RAM whilst
stilling leaving something for the host operating system to work with.  Most
netbooks don't have the RAM.
2)      Machine virtualisation software is still reasonably processor intensive
it is not the kind of typical task most ordinary people to whom Netbooks are
marketed are doing right now.
3)      Virtualisation per se is not without its problems either and most if
not all Access Tech (and even mainstream developers) will generally not support
their products on VMs.

If you must use VISTA find a none to expensive laptop that does it.  There are
still smaller machines that are not as scaled down as Netbooks that would taks
VISTA around.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road