[access-uk] Re: Vista SP1

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:38:01 -0000

VISTA SP1 is fine as far as I can tell, you won't really notice any UI
changes just that one or two areas seem more snappy and the whole thing
less error prone.  If it is coming up under the Windows Update then your
PC should take it fine.  As for downloading on dial-up; I don't think
so, the ISP would cut you off well before you finnished.  Even so it
would be less than 400MB through the Windows Update mechanism anyway.  I
do not Microsoft think will be doing those free CDs again although I
could be proved wrong.  In the four or five years since then broadband
takeup has been large enough to obviate the need for anything similar.

However the update is available as a stand alone update.  If you have a
friend who wouldn't mind downloading it and burning to CD for you, then
you could install the service pack from CD.

The SP1 is not as urgent an update in the security sense as it was for
XP service pack 2 anyway so you can rest somewhat more easily, it is
however worth having though.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx