[access-uk] Views on Seika displays?

  • From: Ari Damoulakis <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 23:31:26 +0200

Hi everyone
Sorry if this has been discussed on list before, but didn't see a
thread. For my law studies my uni is helping me get a netbook and a
seika braille display. I'm just curious, what are you guys views about
this display? Compared to other displays its incredibly cheap, so is
quality a huge problem? Do they break or get dammaged much easier, or
has Seika found some new technology that is cutting the price so
drastically? RNIB have been selling it for a bit, how is the feedback
or are the people buying them always needing repairs? Also, I checked
on your RNIB site, and its weird that they aren't yet selling you the
new models, for example, I am getting one lent called version 5 which
has bluetooth, an SD card so you can carry around and read books, and
a built-in battery, and there is now an even cheaper one they are
selling with only 16 cells, but including a braille keyboard, however,
for some other strange reason these are not as yet listed on their or
the rnib site either, we only found these out after asking for prices
from their sales department.
Thanks
Ari