[access-uk] VISTA: Recording streams - some useful info for those who couldn't!

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:00:28 +0100

A few months ago there was a thread about recording Internet streams
using VISTA and some people had found that their soundboards and the
driver implementations used in such machines did not allow this feature
to work as it had done on some similar machines running Windows XP.

What follows may be a solution for those using Windows VISTA whose sound
devices did not allow them to use their soundcard to record Internet
streams using the soundcard;s own
DSP resources.  This same problem can crop up with some adaptors even
under Windows XP although for some reason not related specifically to
VISTA architecture the problem is worse I don't know why.

Today I learnt that High Criteria who produce a sound recorder package
called Total Recorder have release version 7.0 of their product.  This
product is long established on Windows XP and even some JAWS users who
been aware of it but has not been fully VISTA compatible as the previous
version 6.1 I tried earlier this year with no success on this front.

Version 7.0 now has full VISTA compatibility and users can now use their
virtual sound driver to record streams and soundcard output as was
possible on XP and also now on VISTA whether their soundcard supports
this natively or not.  My laptop for example has a Sigmatel HD Audio
adaptor which does not support recording of its own output with the
current driver implementation.  However with version 7.0 installed (I
have had a license for some time) this free upgrade solves these
problems very nicely.  It is available from here
www.highcriteria.com

The standard edition is not very expensive and will do the job if you
need to occasionally record streams.  The pro version has a few more
perks but isn't strictly necessary for the task described above.

Anyway with the usual disclaimers in place such as I don't take
commission for these people and S&S don't sell Total Recorder I
recommend users with this particular problem give it a try, there is a
demo version so you can try before you buy.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Technical Support
Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing, Summerhouse Road, Moulton Park, NN3 6WD

Web : www.sightandsound.co.uk

Email: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Support: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line:   0845 634 7979
                        01604 798 000

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.
Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a trading subsidiary of 2nd
Phoenix Limited.

Registered Address -
Blenheim House,
York Road,