[access-uk] Re: Usability of Printers to print direct to CD

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:43:29 -0000

Hi Ray,

I've not actually been able to get down to any sort of
costing, but I do know for sure that the CD printing process
puts down less ink than paper, simply because the CD surface
doesn't absorb the ink like paper does.

If I didn't have to print so many CDs for work purposes, I'd
do much more Lite-Scribe, but at around 8 - 10 minutes as
opposed to 2-3 minutes for ink print, I mostly use ink.

There is another issue with these two printers aside from
the duplex functionality. We use Royal Mail's Smartstamp
software for all our office letters and postage generally.
The Canon is extremely good for envelope printing, and can
take 10 or more at a time.  The Epson only seems to be able
to take 2 or 3 at most.

The other unfortunate thing is that the CD label files are
not interchangeable between printers, so if you design one
using Epson's software, you can't print it on the Canon, and
vice versa.

I've only just got Nero 8, so don't know yet if that can
accommodate either printer's CD print function.  I certainly
never figured it out with Nero 7.

George.