[access-uk] Re: Upgrading RAM on Netbook

  • From: Chris Hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 20:49:05 +0000

So what settings can I tweak then please? Thanks.

Chris Hallsworth
e-mail: christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266

I am also on Facebook.

On 28/12/2009 20:41, Hussein Patwa wrote:
Hi,

The advantage of extra RAM shows itself when running multiple programs, or
programs which need to store a lot of data in memory.  the latter works as
there is then a reduced need to keep accessing frequently used data from
the hard disk as it removes this bottleneck.

My friend noticed a significant improvement in screen reader performance
after he upgraded the RAM on his Toshiba netbook, particularly when it was
run in conjunction with MS Office and whilst browsing the web.  If you
take the screen reader out of the equation the performance gain is still
noticeable but to a lesser extent.

However, you should perhaps try some of the more common tweaks to try and
eek out as much performance as you can from the netbook as it is before
committing to the expense of the RAM upgrade.  Given that you have Windows
7 Starter, it will already be lighter than a more bulky version of the OS,
but there are a few things you can still play with to speed it up a
little.

HTH.

H.

Hello all,
I have an Asus 1005HA running 7 Starter. I'm very happy with it, but is
there any advantage in upgrading from 1GB to 2GB of RAM?
Thank you very much.
  From Chris.