[access-uk] Re: UK VAT reclaim form for items purchased for the blind

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:15:18 -0000

Hi,

As a commercial supplier, I have been dealing with this issue fro well
over 20 years, so I figure I do know a little about this subject.

You don't mention what exactly it is that you believe you should get
Zero Rate of VAT on.

Normally, if a product is eligible, the supplier should establish if
you are entitled to Zero Rate or you should advise them that you are
registered blind.  It is then normally the responsibility of the
supplier to deal with the matter of obtaining a declaration form from
you.

Some eligible organisations and charities actually prepare their own
forms (See below) and submit them with their purchase orders.

Once a supplier has confirmed your status, they should not then charge
you VAT.

However, don't expect to be able to go into a High Street shop like
Argos, Debenhams, etc., and purchase what you believe to be an
eligible item.  That staff simply won't know what you are talking
about.

Full details can be seen at the following Government web page.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/disabled.htm

At the foot of the section headed "How to prove that you qualify when
you buy goods and services without paying VAT", there is a link to a
sample declaration.

You may be able to complete one of these for your purchase, submit it
to the supplier, and request a refund of the VAT.

If you hit a brick wall, drop me a line privately, and I'll try to
establish what the score is. (Contact details below)

George Bell
Managing Director
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd
76 Bunting Road Ind. Est.