[access-uk] Re: UK TV Listings

  • From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 07:59:14 +0000

On 27/1/09 15:47, Adrian Higginbotham wrote:
Not quite as simple as your description of msn but the yahoo uk tv
listings site is pretty good as was specificly developed as a test
case for accessibility although I can't remember off the top of my
head what it was that it was the test cast for EG WCAG, ARIA, etc
etc.

(In the interests of full transparency, I'm one of the web developers who works on the Yahoo! European media and information sites.)

Accessibility was certainly one of the goals of the TV site's construction, though it doesn't aim to be a WCAG test case per se and it doesn't use ARIA (it wouldn't help much since the site uses native HTML controls and doesn't have any live regions).

Different users have different interface preferences. e.g. Some users
like tabular presentations. The Yahoo! site actually offers a lot of
different ways to view listings. For example:

Grid view of main 5 terrestrial channels:

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/listings/2009-01-28/07-30/

(The grid views basically try to simulate a chronology format familiar
to many people from printed TV guides by putting each channel's
listings in an HTML list then styling each item with CSS to make it
occupy a visual width equivalent to its actual duration. As far as screen readers are concerned, it's just a series of chronological lists for a given span of time for each channel.)

Hourly table view of freeview channels:

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/listings/group/freeview/2009-01-28/08-30/by-hour/

Just thinking of James's description of the MSN TV site, he might like
to begin with the alphabetic channels listing:

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/listings/all-channels.html

I suppose using the JAWS link list or find command are the fastest way
to find a particular channel.

Each channel link leads through to a listing for that channel, for example:

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/listings/bbc-1/2009-01-28/

Each transmission link in the channel page leads through to a
transmission page, for example:

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/listings/bbc-1/2009-01-28/16-05/

Bearing in mind James's point about audio description and subtitles information, I recall your original feedback about the site about missing the audio description and subtitles data:

http://www.webstandards.org/2008/03/01/yahoo-uk-ireland-tv-relaunch/#comment-62826

While we surface that data whenever we do have it, we're still often missing it, sadly. (Much the hardest part of creating a TV listings website turns out to be getting your hands on good-quality listings data in the first place, rather than the pure web development factors.)

Incidentally, James said he couldn't find the MSN UK TV listings pages. They are here:

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/listings/

Hope that helps. Feedback on the Yahoo! TV site welcome, of course.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis