[access-uk] Two colour identifier apps get the thumbs down!

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:22:02 -0000

Following some info I received a day or two ago, I tried two colour
identifiers from the App Store which someone on another list thought were
very good value for nothing.  They were ColourFinder, and Color ID.  In
actual fact, while they work in real time with the phone's camera, they were
crap.  It was absolutely hysterical to just point the phone at my lilac
jumper, blue jeans, or Martin's silver grey sweat-shirt or black trousers,
and have an American voice go through all sorts of permutations of what it
thought it was recognising.  At one point, it told Martin something he was
wearing was a martini colour, and he cracked me up by saying it was trying
to guess his name rather than the colour of his clothes.

Great for a complete laugh, but certainly no way worth cluttering up your
device, so I removed them, and am glad they were freebees.  If you get a bit
of free time, or want a laugh, some of those apps really do take the
biscuit, and it proves there is junk out there as well as some really useful
stuff.  The only thing I would say about these two apps was that it was
clever how the camera of your phone just took off when you opened either
app, and tried recognising your colours live as you moved it about.  I wish
there was a really good one that could do that.  But these two?  Definitely
no no no!! (smile).

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns
J&M Work-Ability