[access-uk] Re: Transferring Emails to New Computer

  • From: "David Dick" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:29:39 +0100

somewhat long winded but it works
Through David Dick
Been there worn the t-shirt

From: "Barry Toner" <barrys.groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: (Access-UK) -  Transfering data
Date: 05 November 2003 17:59

Ok this is how I do it.

It's a bit long winded and tedious but it works.

Before we do anything make sure all files and folders are being shown.

That is hidden files and folders.

1.  Open up windows explorer.

2.  Go to tools and folder options.

3.  Go to the view property sheet.

4.  Tab to Show Hidden Files And Folders.  Press spacebar untill this says
on.

5.  Tab to apply and hit enter then come out of the folder options.

Ok now for restoring your .dbx files.

1.  Open OE.

2.  Go to local settings.

3.  Press applications key and theletter n to create a new folder.

4.  Type the exact, and I do mean exact same name as say one of your
previous folders.  This is case sensitive.  If you are not sure go to your
.dbx file and copy and paste it's name.
Deleting off course the .dbx part.
5.  Press enter to confirm the creation of the new folder.

6.  Navagate to the new folder within OE.

7.  Tab into the folders mesage view.

I realise there are no files here but we are accessing the folder so that it
will be registered.

8.  Close OE.

9.  Go to the location of one of your dbx files, (the same one that you've
just created a folder for within OE).

10.  Copy the file with ctrl c.

11.  Navagate to your user accounts folder.

On mine it's

c:\documents and settings\Mr Toner

12.  Go into local settings

13.  Go into the application data folder in local settings.

There is an application data folder within your accounts route but what we
are after isn't found in there.

14.  Go into identitys.

15.  There is usually only one identity folder in here unless you have
created multiple identitys.  Go into this directory.  It will have  a weird
name like, {E3190042-A1D2-45BB-8CBA-BCF3F8EE9F49}

16.  Go into the Microsoft directory.

17.  Go into the Outlook Express directory.

18.  Press ctrl v to paste your dbx file.

Note:  Say yes when it asks if you wish to overwrite the existing file.  You
are only overwriting the empty folder we have just created.

19.  Repeat the process with all .dbx files.

Notes:  You may wish to leave this OE folder opened in win explorer to save
you having to keep going in there.

If you have/had files in a previous Inbox that's fine.  you can replace the
inbox just make sure to move the files that are in your current inbox to
another folder prior to doing so.

To do this.

1.  Select the files in your inbox you wish to keep

2.  Ctrl shift v to bring up move.

3.  Either move them to one of the folders you currently have or use the
onscreen buttons to create a new folder and move them there.

You can always move them back once you are done.

Pain in the backside eh?

I've 52 folders in mine and about 46 rules setup.

Each time I format I need to do this each time.

There is an import but this only allows you from what I've seen to import
from one Microsoft mail client to another not from actual .dbx files that
you have backed up yourself.

however, I will look at what Andrew had suggested after I go for this ciggy.

But what I've detailed above works, and works everytime for me.

One final thing.

You may wish to alt enter, (to go into the new folders propertys just to
make sure that it's being registered.  Ya're not looking for anything it's
just to make sure that the registry is picking up on this folder.  So go in
and then close it down.

Cheers
Barry

Kind Regards