[access-uk] Re: Threat

  • From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 11:49:35 +0000

Peter Beasley wrote:
The satogo is genuine.

Absolutely, SA to Go is genuine (and there are plenty of other genuine free screen readers). Here are a couple things to protect yourself if you're feeling worried:

1. You can search the web for a peculiar phrase in an email to see if any one else has received it as spam and recorded it. For example, with the threatening email that began this thread, I simply searched the web for the phrase ""DO NOT COME OUT ONCE IT IS 7:30PM UNTIL I MAKE OUT TIME TO SEE YOU AND GIVE YOU THE TAPE OF MY DISCUSSION" and instantly found this blog post by someone else who received the same email:

http://www.shadowscope.com/archives/2008/01/friday_flimflam_2.php

2. The screen reader programs mentioned might be genuine, but the links in the email might be fraudulent, just as many spam emails claim to come from PayPal or Yahoo!. Rather than following links given by the email, try searching for the screen reader or program via the web to find the official site.

Hope that helps somebody.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis