[access-uk] Re: The New Talking Set-top Box

  • From: "Damon Rose" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:08:24 +0100

But they have to include new hardware in their boxes, a speech synth
chip like the one RNIB have developed. It may only cost pence to buy the
chip but the cost escalates when scaled up in a mass manufacturing
process. Firstly, software needs to be created. Then it has to be
designed into the circuit, soldered to the motherboard which will take
extra time, extra man hours and extra money.

I'm not an expert on this but when Sky and Virgin produce literally
millions of boxes (there are 10 million sky subscribers now) these
little things really ramp the price up and hence cut their profit
margins.

As a result, either the cost needs to be passed on to the customer like
Ryan Air did with their 50p wheelchair tax on all tickets, or sky have
to take the financial hit which they're unlikely to want to do unless
forced by legislation. A million twenty pences equals two hundred
thousand pounds.

In short, why would Sky want to pay almost a quarter of a million quid
on a million box production run when they're probably not even sure how
many blind people watch TV> I wonder how many blind people have made
themselves known to their special customer services team. Sky can
measure this.

Oh look, it's Damon banging on about legislation again.

Still interested to hear from John Godbur and interested to know how
much the RNIB talking chipset might cost manufacturers of set top boxes.

...Damon