[access-uk] Re: The Inaccessible Herts Society for the Blind Web Site

  • From: "John Farley" <john_farley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 11:29:59 -0000

Thanks Brian, I shall do so.

Regards, John

Contact on : (Home)
john_farley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        or : (work)
john.farley@xxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
brian hartgen
Sent: 04 December 2005 06:21
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: The Inaccessible Herts Society for the Blind Web
Site

Hi John

As has been suggested, I do think you need to contact Julie Howell from RNIB
about this site which is very difficult to use.  Because I love using the
Internet, I will try to get around any site I can with a screen-reader, but
this one is certainly a challenge.

When I had a brief look, none of the leading screen-readers worked well on
this site. However, my primary screen-reader I use is JAWS, and although
JAWS reported the same number of links as you suggested on the home page,
clearly when arrowing down there were items which were meant to be links but
were not showing up as such.  Clicking on these with the jaws cursor did get
me to the pages I wanted, but this is not acceptable and the page should be
rendered correctly in the screen-reader's virtual cursor mode or equivalent.

Downloading a news-letter did not give me much information either.  As you
say, this is a protected word document with approximately 150 objects and
several fields.  The status of the protection is "form fields only", meaning
that you can only type into edit fields should they appear in the document.

I tried to unprotect the document, and could not because it required a
password.

Best of luck with RNIB, let us know how things go.

Brian Hartgen
E-MAIL:  brian@xxxxxxxxxxx
MSN:  brian@xxxxxxxxxxx
SKYPE:  brianhartgen