[access-uk] Re: The Blizard Challenge 2008

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 21:08:25 +0100

Hi Wendy,

I agree they are not links.  They don't work with Window-Eyes either.
Registering was easy, but you can't complete task 1, because you can't click
or press enter on the samples.

All the best

Steve

  _____

Author: Gareth Halfacree
Published: 16th May 2008
Caption: The entrants in the Blizzard Challenge have all finished their
engines,
so it's up to us to
decide if they've succeeded.
If you're interested in helping advance the science of text-to-speech
synthesis,
you're needed as
part of the Blizzard Challenge.  The Challenge is an annual event hosted by
the University
of
Edinburgh's Centre for Speech Technology Research in which programmers are
given
10,000
sentence-length recordings of a person from which they must create a working
speech
synthesis
engine. Once each team has completed their engine, the results are uploaded
for people
like us to
listen to and rate.
Speech synthesis is an important technology, and one which gets criminally
overlooked
in these days
of multi-gigabyte storage and the ability to record voiceover artists in
high-fidelity.
Not only are
the text-to-speech engines vital for partially sighted people using
screen-reader
software that all
too often sounds like a cross between Stephen Hawking and a Dalek, but an
engine
which is as
flexible as a real human voice holds the promise of massively improved
immersion
in games with vast
swathes of text being transformed into realistic speech without the need to
hire
actors and
expensive studios.
In order to make things easier for the teams involved, the Blizzard
Challenge has
traditionally used
a neutral voice for the basis of the engines - one without a particularly
strong
accent and as
emotion free as possible. This time round, however, the Challenge is to
create a
working engine from
a voice sample which has a lot more personality than usual. While this makes
things
a lot harder for
the programmers, it holds the promise of an engine capable of producing a
voice that
doesn't sound
permanently bored.
If your last experience of text-to-voice synthesis was with the Say program
on your
Amiga 500
Workbench floppy, then you'll be pleasantly surprised by how advanced some
of this
years entries
are. If you want to participate, you can sign up on the project homepage.
It'll only
take about an
hour of your time, and it's well worth it.
Do we have any partially sighted visitors relying on screen readers, or are
we all
just looking
forward to seeing the technology to a point where it can be used to put more
speech
into games like
Oblivion? Share your thoughts over in the forums.
LINK: Blizzard Challenge 2008 Volunteer Listener Registration
http://groups.inf.ed.ac.uk/blizzard/blizzard2008/english/register-ER.html
SOURCE URL FOR THIS ARTICLE
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/16/the-blizzard-challenge-2008/1