[access-uk] Re: The Blizard Challenge 2008

  • From: "Audrey Tonge" <audrey.tonge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 20:02:49 +0100

I think I may be able to throw some light on this.

there is an imbedded player that some sites are using. the software is provided
by a certain company, I am sorry, but I don't have the name of it, the links
appear as plain text as the embedded play button is invisible to screen
readers.  Unfortunately, sites using this software make an investment in the
software believing that it will play files to blind or visually impaired
users,but as the buttons are invisible this is not possible.

A previous site that used this software, made a plea to the company to sort
this issue out, but apparently they are seemingly uninterested.

Looks like Ray's idea is the best one, that they make download links for people
to listen to instead.

Audrey

  Author: Gareth Halfacree
  Published: 16th May 2008
  Caption: The entrants in the Blizzard Challenge have all finished their
engines,
  so it's up to us to
  decide if they've succeeded.
  If you're interested in helping advance the science of text-to-speech
synthesis,
  you're needed as
  part of the Blizzard Challenge.  The Challenge is an annual event hosted by
the University
  of
  Edinburgh's Centre for Speech Technology Research in which programmers are
given
  10,000
  sentence-length recordings of a person from which they must create a working
speech
  synthesis
  engine. Once each team has completed their engine, the results are uploaded
for people
  like us to
  listen to and rate.
  Speech synthesis is an important technology, and one which gets criminally
overlooked
  in these days
  of multi-gigabyte storage and the ability to record voiceover artists in
high-fidelity.
  Not only are
  the text-to-speech engines vital for partially sighted people using
screen-reader
  software that all
  too often sounds like a cross between Stephen Hawking and a Dalek, but an
engine
  which is as
  flexible as a real human voice holds the promise of massively improved
immersion
  in games with vast
  swathes of text being transformed into realistic speech without the need to
hire
  actors and
  expensive studios.
  In order to make things easier for the teams involved, the Blizzard Challenge
has
  traditionally used
  a neutral voice for the basis of the engines - one without a particularly
strong
  accent and as
  emotion free as possible. This time round, however, the Challenge is to
create a
  working engine from
  a voice sample which has a lot more personality than usual. While this makes
things
  a lot harder for
  the programmers, it holds the promise of an engine capable of producing a
voice that
  doesn't sound
  permanently bored.
  If your last experience of text-to-voice synthesis was with the Say program
on your
  Amiga 500
  Workbench floppy, then you'll be pleasantly surprised by how advanced some of
this
  years entries
  are. If you want to participate, you can sign up on the project homepage.
It'll only
  take about an
  hour of your time, and it's well worth it.
  Do we have any partially sighted visitors relying on screen readers, or are
we all
  just looking
  forward to seeing the technology to a point where it can be used to put more
speech
  into games like
  Oblivion? Share your thoughts over in the forums.
  LINK: Blizzard Challenge 2008 Volunteer Listener Registration
  http://groups.inf.ed.ac.uk/blizzard/blizzard2008/english/register-ER.html
  SOURCE URL FOR THIS ARTICLE
  http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/16/the-blizzard-challenge-2008/1