[access-uk] Re: The Benefits of Braille - for Tink

  • From: "Jillian Grant" <jillian.grant1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:02:23 +0100

I always believed that the reason why older people who lost their sight
didn't learn braille was that they feel that their fingers are not sensitive
enough.  Also it takes patience to learn, something you readily have as
children.  I guess that those who become blind later on feel very scared by
it.  Also they haven't had time to adjust to using their other senses.  I
truly believe that this world is so much reliant on the visuals, but a lot
of people don't reall think of their other senses.  So they're amazed at
just what they can do.  People like me have had no choice, and it's always
been second nature.