[access-uk] Re: The Benefits of Braille - for Tink

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:22:53 +0100

Hi Tink

I Think one of the greatest concerns of those of us who want to preserve braille is that there is a medium in which young children can become truly literate. It is far too easy for education authorities and the rest to say that braille doesn't matter, that you can do it all with technology, but I'm really not sure whether many totally blind people would be able to learn to read and spell with technology that doesn't involve braille. How are you supposed to understand what a word is?

I was very lucky and had full-time braillist support at both primary and secondary school, and I think it was and is invaluable. Perhaps as the price of refreshable braille comes down (have there been any product launches from Tactile Dynamics yet?) more people will have the opportunity to see how both braille and technology can have a good future.

James