[access-uk] Re: The Benefits of Braille - for Tink

  • From: "Iain Lackie" <ilackie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:43:34 +0100

I have just received a publication from RNIB (it took a great effort to get it in Braille) Called Sight Problems: Changing The Way We Think About Blindness. In this booklet it says:
'there are systems of reading by touch such as Braille. There are 20,000-25,000 people who use Braille regularly, and many more make use of Braille labelling on signs, in lifts and on packaging. However, it is unusual for people losing their sight in later life to learn the system.'

This sounds to me almost like damning with faint praise. I am sure that more people would give Braille a go if they had the opportunity and if the benefits were emphasised rather more than the difficulties. I am not really sure at whom this publication is aimed but what it has to say about Braille doesn't encourage anyone who has lost their sight in later life to attempt to take it up.

Iain.
----- Original Message ----- From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>