[access-uk] Re: Team Viewer and a screen reader

  • From: Kevin Cussick <the.big.white.shepherd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:50:52 +0000

Yes,

that's correct you press the said key and it gives you keyboard control over the other computer. It's a bit laggy but it sort of works. I have done work on my girl friends boxes this way.

On 17/03/2011 11:41, Catherine Turner wrote:
Hi,

Thanks both for your help.  Kevin - please could you clarify what you
mean by you have to be able to take over the remote computer?  Is this
when you press the scroll key?

Thanks,
Catherine

On 3/17/11, Kevin Cussick<the.big.white.shepherd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hello,

I have not used this for a while now.  but it does work.

You have to be able to take over the other computer you are working on,
   the only thing is you will need another screen reader on the host machine.

And you will need an application like skype to hear the audio back from
the other computer.

You press the scroll key to take keyboard control on the other computer
there is a file trance fer program in team viewer this is very
accessible and as far as I remember you will be able to grab files from
the said computer without skype.

I have used it to help people but it isn't the best solution in my view.

Remote desktop works quite well using nvda.  the only thing is it does
log the other user off that your working with hope this is of some help.

On 17/03/2011 00:17, Catherine Turner wrote:
Hi,

An organisation I do some work for are talking about me having a log
in so that I can look at files available on their server.  They use
Team Viewer.  The only experience I have of Team Viewer is whe I run
it to allow a sighted person to help me with visual problems on my
computer - I haven't so far used it to connect to other people's
machines.

I struggle to understand how this could work with a screen reader,
though this organisation thinks it should work.  As far as I
understand it Team Viewer provides a view of the remote machine's
screen and allows the user to interact with it and control the remote
machine.  I can't conceptualise how this would work in an accessible
way for a screen reader.

Has anyone any experience of Team Viewer and a screen reader?  Can it be
done?

I also don't really understand why/how Team View is used to access
files anyway - why not just download them?  That's probably a question
for the organisation, not here but any thoughts welcome.

Catherine

All The Best
Kevin Cussick

All The Best