[access-uk] Re: Talking card reader

  • From: "Darren Brewer" <darren.m.brewer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:30:12 -0000

Hi Martin

Well to begin with you need to insert the 2 AAA batteries, If you feel along both edges of the card reader you will feel some small spring clips. By pushing both of them at once in the same direction a cover will slide back from underneath the unit. The cover is about half as long as the unit so you'll know when you have released it. The position of the batteries is unusual, in that they don't go together, one goes on the left and one on the right. If you feel around you'll find the springs that go against the negative, or flat end of the battery.

Once you have inserted both batteries, slide the cover back into place.

Now if you hold the unit so the keypad is nearest your chest and the smooth display is furthest away from you then you have it held correctly. If you feel along the left edge you will find the spring clip and just above it you will feel a small hole. That is the jack for plugging in the ear phone.

At the top of the unit above the display, you will feel a small step or ledge , this is where you insert your card. To insert the card correctly you must have the magnetic strip on the left and have it facing down. The card will only slide in a few centimetres, so don't force it.

If you feel the keyboard you will find the raised bump on the number 5 as usual.

Above the buttons 1 2 and 3 are 4 function buttons, they are from left to right, Identify, Respond, Sign and M.

The M stands for Menu and it allows you to alter the contrast of the LCD display. It also tells you the software version and the third thing is called counter, not too sure what that is at the moment,

There are 3 more function buttons each located to the right of the numerical keypad.

So next to 3 is C, which I think is cancel.
next to 6 is CL, probably clears the entry if you made a mistake.
next to 9 is OK, press after entering pin or other info.

Just above and to the right of the M button is a button with an R on it. R stands for repeat. So by pressing this it will repeat what was last spoken.

There are two ways to switch the unit on. You can either just insert your card or press the button that is located just above and to the left of the Identify button. This button will also switch the unit off when pressed.

when you first switch it on the voice says. Insert card or menu, or if you just insert your card it will say, checking, select function.

Now press the respond button and it will prompt you for your pin. After entering it press OK to confirm. It will then ask you to enter a number.

The number you must enter will be given on the natwest website or whatever site you are trying to make a purchase on. The number will probably be referred to as the authorization number. You must enter this number and press OK.

A security number will then be generated which you must enter on the website to confirm your identity. If you didn't quite catch the security number when it was spoken, you can always press the repeat button to hear it again.

I think that's everything. Once verified you can remove your card and switch the reader off, although I bet it goes off by itself after a while.

Hope that helps.

Darren.

pad at the bottom you ----- Original Message ----- From: "martin wilsher" <m.wilsher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>