[access-uk] Re: Taking the plunge

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 00:13:15 -0000

Amusing James, that take on Hot Keys.  Hand't thought of 'hot' as
having that possible interpretation!

I have never been sure why GW have set their face so determinedly
against any sort of macro, even keyboard based ones.  Doug. of GW
has always been stern in his oposition here, although in the days
of old when Vocal Eyes for DOS he did allow for the program to
co-operate with a macro processor.  For a time I played around
with Quickeys for Windows, and never suffered any stability
problems.  I was very tempted to buy it, but for the rather high
asking price of around £70.  I think the approach used in
Quickkeys might have paid off for GW.  It used a wizzard based
approach, and although I know wizzards have their limitations
when it comes to defining complex situations, i.e. you want y to
happen if x is true, otherwise...  etc. I think a wizzard
approach could help quite a bit.

Of course GW has inovated quite a bit in its approach to Word,
and eventiually Office.  Getting the info it needs directly from
the program surely has to be good for accuracy and thoroughness.
Some have said Apple maybe should have gone that route with its
upcoming integral screen reader.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx