[access-uk] Re: TALKING PICTURES (and In Touch 1st August) and everything

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:07:18 +0100

TALKING PICTURESSome interesting thoughts indeed re. incorporating the KNFB
software on a mobile phone platform, though we''ll have to waite a few years
for that.

I was expecting from yesterday's post we'd hear something last night about
KNFB but we didn't.  May well be I got it wrong, and, come to think of it,
I'm not sure Ian actually said it would be featured last night, but is it
coming up next week?  That is, BBC confidentiality and all that permitting.

Still, the woman at the end of the prog talking about her mobile as a
replacement for a voice mate type gadget was interesting in itself.  The
Mobile as genral purpose mobility/notetaking/reading aid?

If I may be allowed to drift a little here - as I do so often - navigation
and orientation to places of interest would seem to be the way to go.  Here
in Birmingham though we have what I regard as a naff experiment, and a
waiste of a good deal of money too - on an experiment of mounting speakers
on poles or lampposts and a blinky waving a fob-like device about for the
speaker to announce the presence of a shopping centre or whatever.  Is this
the way forward?  (Not to be confused with the guide dog command of the same
name.)

Quite how professional and highly paid people get to indulge these whims is
quite beyond me.  When a friend pointed out that the speaking of info should
be attached to the person, not the environment, he was roundly ignored for
his comment.  The professional way seems to be to deaf out the blind and do
what ever daft, or maybe even sensible, thing enters your mind.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx