[access-uk] Re: Sygate Personal Firewall Crashing

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:09:20 +0100

Hi, Douglas,

Thanks for your feedback. I did download an upgrade to Sygate only the other week but would hope it would not hijack itself. <g>

As for Zone Alarm, I tried it out several years ago and did not like it much at all. i actually switched from Sygate to ZoneAlarm back in 2001. <g>

As I'm also behind a router with an inbuilt firewall, i think the older version of ssygate will do if I can't use the newer one but I'll give reinstalling something newer a try probably.

I guess it's time to go searching for an accessible free firewall again. I found Sygate before it became really popular and maybe I'll be lucky again. Wish me luck. <g>

Cheers,

Doris At 08:37 PM 12/8/2005 +0000, you wrote:

Doris,
I have the free Sygate running on this  XP system and have not
experienced any trouble with it so far. I would have thought it highly
unlikely that Sygate could be causin your problem unless you had
recently updated/upgraded it, but I may be wrong.  Do you think that it
could have been corrupted in some way?  If so, a re-install of the latest
build might be worth trying.

In view of the news about Symantec I am currently trying out Zone
Alarm on a spare machine.  It seems  fine provided I leave it on the
default settings but I don't find the Control centre very easy to use, at
least with Hal, but as I become more familiar with it my problems may
be less serious.  At present it seems the only possible alternative to
Sygate.  The only versions of Kerio which are screen reader accessible
are about 2 years out of date, and I understand that Tiny Personal
Firewall, if still available, will not be so for much longer.

Douglas

--

Douglas Harrison