[access-uk] Re: Stolen Braillenote tangent

  • From: Brendan Magill <brendan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:24:56 +0000

Hi everyone,

Kirsten, I freely admit that I know almost nothing of your situation;
in particular, I did not know that you had not yet got a computer.
However, since you do not have a computer, you do not yet need a
screenreader.  I think it unlikely that AtW will be funding your
computer, so I have to assume that the lack of a computer is down to
your employer.

As for buying the screenreader without an SMA, this is not down to AtW.
If a formal assessment of your needs was made, then the assessor should
have recommended the SMA.  If a formal assessment was not carried out,
then you or your employer should have asked for the SMA.  From what you
write, I think you know about screenreaders and SMAs, so did you ask AtW
to fund one?

As for your comments, Derek, about having permission from the employer
to take equipment off site, this is always an issue with any movement of
equipment and tools.  We all know that people carry all sorts of kit
around in their cars without proper insurance;  a BrailleNote is no
exception in this respect.  Any one of us who wishes to take equipment
off site should be sure to have written agreement from our employer to
do that, thus ensuring that responsibility for loss or damage rests with
the employer.

Cheers,

Brendan.

--