[access-uk] Re: Sound advice...

  • From: Paul Warner <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:28:46 +0000

Probably not. If you can hear the difference in audio quality between Blue-Ray and DVD through your speakers, there is no reason why you shouldn't hear such a difference when using high-end headphones. If anything, such headphones can reveal audio quality differences since listening in a room always imports some kind of acoustic colouration.

The real question is whether or not the sound track for the particular content has been compressed in any way either on the DVD or on the Blue-Ray. This is not a question decided by the format but, rather, by the engineers who produce the particular content. For example, even although Blue-Ray might well play back uncompressed in the player, the source material could even be an mp3 file and, in that case, the uncompressed Blue-Ray player would simply be faithfully reproducing the compressed and usually awful original.

I don't quite believe that audio in Blue-Ray content is always uncompressed. Do the maths. At just CD quality of 16 bit, 44.1KHz, a single track of uncompressed audio takes up about 5Mb per minute. In a 5.1 soundtrack, you would expect five times that - 25Mb per minute.

In a three hour movie, that's 180 minutes times 25Mb which is 4.5Gb. Top end audio these days runs at 24 bit which would multiply the file size by 1.5 giving 6.75Gb. Throw in a sample rate of 96KHz and your looking at something in the region of 14 gb just for the audio! Considering that video takes up about four times as much space as audio, then I think my scepticism about uncompressed audio in Blue-Ray is perhaps justified.

So, if you want to listen to Blue-Ray on good headphones, go ahead. Don't worry about the sound!

Paul

On 28/01/2013 16:11, BJ Edwards wrote:
Hi all,

Historically I have watched my films with a DVD player connected to an
AV receiver, outputting 5.1 sound. Now I have had enough of all the
wires and have decided to watch films with high-end headphones. But
here is the question... I understand that Blu-Ray is uncompressed,
that the picture quality is apparently the dog's nuts, and the sound,
in theory is amazing if you have the hardware. But, here's the rub;
would blu-ray sound   be any better than DVD  through headphones?

Thanks,

bJ

Paul Warner
VICT Consultancy