[access-uk] Re: So... How's Jaws 9.

  • From: "Ankers, Dave (UK)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:55:40 -0000

They know us blind folk are made of money.......NOT. Remember my thread
about having access technology fully incorporated into the operating
system, straight from the manufacturer! Then the choice is Windows or
Mac or even freeware! Then updates might work, and cost nothing.

Dave

Hi Chris,
I would download Window Eyes and install it on my Jaws  active computer.
But the thing is, though neither company will admit it, A window Eyes
computer won't work well if it detects jaws and a jaws computer won't
work well if it detects Window Eyes. Ask yourself, why after all this
time won't the Zoomtext focus follow the Jaws cursor? Answer? Jaws is
produced not to follow Zoomtext. It is produced to follow the Magic
focus. In short, Its all about money and the blind guy... Well ...
Tough. If you have Jaws on your computer you will not be able to install
window eyes easily. You will probably have to consult the window eyes
team to get it working properly.
This is part and parcel of the whole program of difficulties when you
are offered to download one or other of the three leading access
softwares.
Jaws, Window Eyes and Zoomtext. If you are a jaws user, download Window
Eyes and see what happens. Ditto if you are a Window Eyes user and you
download Jaws. I'll guarantee you will need to consult the support team
or re-format your computer. I've just been asked to pay 281 pounds for
an upgrade from Jaws 7.1 to Jaws 9.0 and I think this is a bit steep.
I've just paid $400 to go from XP Home Canadian to Xp Pro Uk and then
over 100 pounds to go from Jaws 6x to 7.1 which didn't work. Now only a
few months later they want 280 pounds to go from 7.1 through 8.0 wich
was broken but Freedom scientific refused to fix, to 9.0 which folks are
telling me is a blasted waste of time? How long are we just going to sit
on our swivel chairs and put up with this crap. A simple upgrade from
Jaws 7.1 to 9.0 at 281 pounds is almost half the price of Window Eyes
which I've heard is catching up! Sure I can even torrent a pirated copy
of Jaws 8.0 on the pirate bay, but I'm not sure its worth the bother.

Peter