[access-uk] Re: Sight Village: First Impressions

  • From: "Baldev Shinder" <bshinder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:47:35 +0100

baldev_shinder@xxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Ray's Home
Sent: 19 July 2005 22:28
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Sight Village: First Impressions

I got along to SV for one or two hours today.  On the whole not too crowded,
but the pressure of competition to see things got to me at times.  I walked
away from RNIB's well cited Talking Book stand as someone simply barged me
out of the way whilst talking to the lady there.  Oh well.

For anyone who wants to look at the entire range of CD based DAISY players,
you can hardly do better than visit RNIB's room up stairs.  They have all
the ones I know about, and a well put together brochure describing them.

Also at RNIB's room I got my first chance of eyeing over, well listening to,
the Apple screen reader.  First impressions were good and it seems
improvements are in the pipeline.  Apple will include some scripting
capability in future versions, but the RNIB guy seemed to think they would
do as much to try and ensure that programs written for the Mac in future are
designed more with us in mind.  All in favour of that.  Quite a good
demonstration when we got past the RNIB snooty attitude to those who use
anything other than JFW.

Pity that Andrew didn't get around to looking at the BrailleSense, because
if he had I cannot help but feel that he would have been impressed.  Steve
Nutt was demonstrating it, and very well too.  The MP3 player it
incorporates comes through stereo speakers, and there are separate sound
media controls on the front vertical edge of the machine.  The LCD is very
small and I'd have thought could have been a little longer.  The
BrailleSense does have a video output socket, and to my mind, if you are
working collaboratively with sighted people this would really come into its
own.  I was very impressed too by the ease with which you can book mark
audio files, and the no hassle multi-tasking of the machine which operates
under Windows 2003.  No projected Uk price, but to my mind the choice lies
between this machine and maybe the MPower from HumanWare, as we must call
them now.  Forget about Packmate!  Oh, and did I say, the Braille display is
absolutely marvellous.  Here's a machine
  that would commend the bulk of any ATW budget for a Braille user, who
wants everything else too.

I'll make further reflections on SV after I manage to get there again.

Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx