[access-uk] Re: Shhh, I'm Trying To Read! | Arc90 Blog

  • From: "Damon" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:46:23 -0000

Interesting. Thanks for posting this I'm gonna give it a go later.

I find that the biggest barrier to reading websites these days isn't about
incorrect HTML markup, it's the sluggishness of web pages. Reading some sites,
and I'm talking here about basic sites like newspaper websites, make my
screenreader stutter and judder and stick. Arrowing down a page can be nigh on
impossible with some sites. I'd be happy to give up the alt text campaigning to
get this issue sorted out. That and the annoying impenetrable code that appears
on some web 2.0 websites. Not even sure you can add alt text to this rubbish.

I suspect it's java which contributes to some sites being so sluggishly
inaccessible and not always Flash. But this tool might help. But will it be any
more useful than just turning off Flash in jaws I wonder? I gather this
readability tool attempts to reshape websites using its own CSS settings and
addresses more than just flash.