[access-uk] Searching the Internet -- was: First Guide dog

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 21:53:49 +0100

Hi Andy,

I hope your search with Google is productive.
http://www.google.co.uk

Note that I've used the British .co.uk Google site as
opposed to the global .com one.  It recognises you are from
the U.K. and helps narrow down some of the searches.

Another tip I found useful, which only applies of you speak
a foreign language, is that as often as not there are Google
sites is many countries, for example google.fr for France,
.de for Germany, .dk for Denmark and so on.

The four other important things I have learned (for my
purposes anyway) are:-

1)  If you want two or more specific words to be found on
the one page, put a plus sign in front of each.  Otherwise
it will find articles which have one or the other, and not
specifically both.

2)  A similar rule applies if a search produces too much,
where you can put in a minus sign to specifically exclude a
word.

3)  If you are looking for something like "guide dogs" as in
for the blind, put it in quotes, then it will look for that
exact phrase.

4)  And, especially if you are shopping, the most important
one of all is often to find and select the "pages from the
UK" radio button before you activate the search.  You'll
still get foreign ones creeping in, but far, far fewer.

It's surprising how soon you learn to do pretty accurate
searches which get results in literally seconds.

George.