[access-uk] Sales and support staff's knowledage of braille

  • From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:18:33 -0000

Hi Jackie
I have changed subject line  a I think  there is room for  a wider
Debate on some issues here.
I understand  all you are saying and  I was surprised nobody can read
Grade 2  Braille.  But then just a  sec, maybe not surprised!

Few   weeks ago  I had  a demonstration  by Humanware  of a new
Package  aimed at the deafblind. They call is  DBC  I think
Stands for  deafblind communicator.
Anyway the lady  that gave me the  demonstration  didn't seem to know
Braille! And this caused some  confusion!

So after that  failed demonstration  Alan  Davis  came to me,
Not too sure  if he knows Braille,  but he certainly  was far better
At  explaining what he was  showing me.

I am  now told  the trainer  will  be  a guy called
Martin  (I forget his surname)  works for  Humanware in UK.

A  don't  think  a sighted  driver  would be happy for  a car
Salesman to be  a non  driver,  so  to a point I agree There is  a  need
for  those that  sell  Braille displays,  to know Both  grade 1  and 2
Braille.

I do  not accept the  person must be blind, because there are
Many  sighted  people out there that  know Braille  very well.
Regards,  Derek