[access-uk] Results of Note-taker Questionnaire

  • From: "Karl Farrell" <karl.farrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 23:48:04 +0100

Hello everyone

As we are now taking bookings for our 6th October note-taker training day, I
would like to make a few remarks on our findings and thank those on this
list who completed our questionnaire back before August.

Everyone who answered the questionnaire reads and/or writes documents on
their note-taker, probably the main reason for having one.  I think that's
similar for blind people using a PC, except there it's more e-mails than
documents.  The second most popular activity on note-takers is using the
media player, but there, 30% don't use it at all and under 40% use it often.

The media player functions on a note-taker are highly accessible.  That
can't Always be said for PC or even Mac software so you could use your
note-taker to get into the digital sound age for playing and recording
anything audible.  Similarly, the database facility on note-takers can be
the means of introducing yourself to data processing.

The majority of note-taker users are not surfing the internet or sending
emails or synchronising their device with their PC.  I know we can't or
don't want to do absolutely everything but being able to do a bit more Than
we did before is pleasing and, well, empowering.  So if you want to come to
the AVIOS Note-taker Training Day, keep Saturday 6th October free - more
information to follow.

Karl Farrell
AVIOS Events Co-ordinator
Tel: 020 7275 7650