[access-uk] Re: Request regarding DSA

  • From: "Mike Moore" <mikeis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 19:34:59 +0100

Eleanor,

It is a printing device which uses swell paper.

The swell paper is impregnated with little capsules of alcohol. The paper has a
diagram, for example printed onto it firstwith black ink. As the paper moves
through the printer, it passes past a very bright halogen light source; the
heat is attracted to the black image on the paper, the alcohol swells up and
produces a tactile image, of a graph for example. It can also be used for
Braille printing. The printing costs are quite expensive, so not a cheap source
of printing Braille, but very good for long lasting images.

Hope that is explained well enough.

Regards,

Mike