[access-uk] Re: Replacing unauthorizedWindows XP with new legal copy

  • From: "Barry Toner" <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:14:10 +0100

Dave,

If you ring Microsoft explain to them the situation giving them the
Blacklisted software licence code and your new code.  Also add in that you
are Visually impaired and have data on that hard drive you don't' want to
lose I'm sure they will advise you on how to unlock the software.

If MS decide to be awkward, which would be silly as you have paid for a
legal version to correct a breech of their Licence Terms through no fault of
your own it is entirely possible to get that data back.  In-terms of your
personal data, email files etc.

If you know someone who is handy with computers they can easily take the
hard drive out, pop it in a USB caddy and it will be seen by another Windows
machine as a data drive.  They can copy and paste all your data over, minus
the installed applications.  So Favorites, Email files, music, video,
documents etc are still safe on that hard drive.  Despite the OS not
allowing you to do a full boot.

In saying all this I would be amazed if Microsoft don't' help you out
because they do have anti theft programs that protect the customer.  So
providing you get speaking to the right tech support person they should be
able to assist you in unlocking your operating system so you can enter in
your valid licence details without destroying any data.

Regards,
Barry toner.