[access-uk] Renewal of Symantec subscriptions

  • From: "Douglas Harrison" <harrisondf@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:05:37 -0000

It appears to me that Symantec have recently introduced an extra step
in the on line renewal process.  What I mean may be clearer if I quote
a portion of the instructions -

"On the "Check if you have a Symantec online account" page, type in
your email address. Click "Check for Account."
If your account is found, type in your password and go on to step 10.
If your account is not found, fill out the form to create an account, and
then go to step 10"

As my e-mail address has changed during the last year, I was not
surprised when it reported that there was no account under that
address, but.. no form to create one!
There seemed no alternative but to go through the whole process
again. At the fourth attempt, the form appeared and I completed it
including setting a password etc.  It then took me back to a previous
screen which ultimately led to the Check whether you have an on-line
account screen.  Typing in the e-mail address I had just set and
pressing the Check button gave the Warning that there was no  on line
account under this e-mail address - and no form to create one!
After several more attempts I gave up.
I have never found renewing NAV subscriptions easy - but this is
ridiculous!   And in a prominent place they have a link to a page
explaining what they have done to make the site accessible!

I am posting this for two reasons.  Firstly, anyone likely to have to
renew a Symantec subscription in the near future will be prepared.
Also I thought that there might be a chance that someone on the list
has recently done so and might be able to explain what I am doing
wrong.

I am seriously considering NOD32 or AVG 7.   Does anyone know
whether the latter can check incoming e-mail as Norton does even
where the client in use is not Outlook or OE?

Any comments would be much appreciated,

Douglas

 --

Douglas Harrison