[access-uk] Re: RealPlayer

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:43:08 +0100

Well Douglas, I'm by no means a technical type, but I am sure that the Real
Player Engine is being used to play the streams on Listen Again, and the
interface is just that, a sort of skin, but with an important difference.
This interface between Real Player - or Real Alternative if that's being
used - also disables the standard seeking ability in Real Player so that
flexible skipping to pick up parts of music or any copyright sensitive
material, is made tedious  - but not impossible - by this arrangement.

I'm sure from the preceding discussion that if Real Alternative is being
used, this restriction of movement ability is also in place.  An example of
this would be such shows as, say, Sounds of the Sixties, available as Listen
Again, but with the crippled seeking abilities.

Having said all of this, I am sure some resourceful people have found ways
around the Beeb's scheme.  I believe some software even allows downloading
of Real Streams, thus by-passing the necessity to listen in real time to
record a stream.  Somehow, the software reaches the real streaming URL - not
the pointer to it - to enable this to happen.  This is no doubt not just
dubious, but downright illegal.  It'll be interesting to see what happens
with this sort of program.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx