[access-uk] Re: Radio Times App for IPod/IPhone

  • From: Ian Robinson <ian456@xxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:09:56 +0100

Hi Carol,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply to your question.  Like you, I'm new to all
these apps and am still figuring out what works and what doesn't.

The Radio Times app is usable, but contains many unlabelled buttons.  I have
tried using the buttons and still can't figure them out.  I'll try again when
I've got sighted help.
The app allows you to select channels based on provider, such as Freeview or
Freesat and includes both Tv and Radio listings.

there is an app called TV Guide UK, which is free, but includes adverts.  I
found it frustrating to use and gave up on  it quite quickly.

the latest version of the Sky+ app seems to be unusable to be, though others
may have had more success.  the older version is very accessible and is free,
so I could send you a copy if necessary.

the TV Plus app is very like the older version of the Sky+ app, except that it
costs £1.19.

Although both the Sky+ and Tv Plus apps include the Sky channels, both allow
you to setup your Favourite channels.  Neither app includes radio channels.

Although the Sky+ and Tv Plus apps include a synopsis of each programme,
neither mention whether  a programme is a repeat.

the Radio Times app seems to include more programme information, including
whether it is a repeat.

None of the above apps say whether a programme is audio described or not.

Both the Sky+ and Tv Plus apps have an option to set a Sky box to record a
programme and both work very reliably.  If only we could get something that
would allow us to do the same with an off-the-shelf Freeview recorder!

Hope the above is of some use and feel free to contact me privately if you want
to discuss this off list.

regards.

Ian