[access-uk] Re: RNIB talking books

  • From: "Justin R" <mypc128@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:20:37 +0100

Hi Ray, totally agree with all you've said there.  i can't make much in the
way of comments here as, I was very late to the RNIB talking book service,
not knowing such a thing existed until autumn 2002.  So, you can guess that
I'm on the digital system by default anyway.  i'd have loved to have been
apart of the service years ago.  i would have known aobut these chunky
cassette things that I here aobut.

It seems clear to me that as the talking book service is being shifted over
to digital system still that the RNIB really do need to focus their full
energies of getting the system up to speed so, all past books are available
on daisy.  i think the RNIB started the switch in 2000, did they?

Like Ray, i can get by on reading print if needs be, however, it's not
really an easy task and I spend  a lot of my time having to go over
sentences twice, three times on the occasion as I miss out words, trip over
words etc.  So, i do like the talking book service and get a lot out of it.
So, the RNIB don't wanna let that service go by the wayside as, they've
essentially got a great service in talking books.

I've just got a load to read now, a least two books on 4 CD's altogehter.
<smile>

Justin