[access-uk] Re: Question about Routers

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:42:31 +0100

Hi.

I ahve had a look at the Netgear site and the product looks fine.  You may want
to search for reviews on the products, to see what users think.  There always
seems to be a battle between D-link and Netgear, one week one is better than
the other etc.  I have a D-link wireless access point, as I have an older
Draytek router with only 802.11B wireless, and it works very well, though the
web interface is not, imho, as accessible or as well specified as the Draytek
web interface.

Where I come from in recommending the Draytek products is that I know what they
are capable of, I know their features, and I have used them in homes and small
businesses.  However, I realise that there are probably cheaper products out
there, and if we can get a support base for those products, that would be very
good.  I don't have really time to go searching round all the manufacturers, as
the market is very fluid.

Also, one thing in looking for these products is to do a google search to see
if any security related info comes up.  For example, I installed a SMC router
at a friends house, to find that the management screens were open to the
internet by default on the default user details - not good.  I also had a
similar problem with a BT wireless router someone purchased with a Plusnet
starter bundle, and in both instances the firmware had to be upgraded before I
had even really got it working.  Not good plug and play!

In all instances I avoid Linksys du to very poor support and sudden dropping of
support for new platforms.

Hope this helps.
Andrew.