[access-uk] Re: Preventing malware?

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:06:02 -0000

Kathryn, I'll add a bit here around Windows-based machines and
prevention.

The most obvious free route you can take is to use Firefox instead of
Internet Explorer as your browser.

The learning curve for using Firefox isn't, in my opinion, very steep.
This is down to the fact that FF, like IE, has MSAA support and many
of the commands you are used to should work fine, though I'm not
familiar with all the JFW support for Firefox.  A lot of this unwanted
spyware stuff is done via Active X which, whatever its virtues, does
open the door for installation of nasties.

I also have Firefox allow cookies for the firefox session only which I
trust is a good compromise between denying them altogether and not
having some sites work properly, and having some of the more horrible
tracking cookies hanging around.

Unless someone is prepared to tell me knowledgably the contrary, I'd
say pretty well all free solutions are going to clear up after the
event, rather than offering a shield against mal-ware installing
itself.  Worth bearing in mind now that anti-virus packages
increasingly incorporate anti-spyware detection in real time.  NOD32
does this, and also Kasperski.  Dare I say, Norton does too, but I
won't go there, (smile).  AVG do a good anti-spyware program these
days, but again, after evaluation you get only passive protection from
the program which does continue to update in free mode.

As for the Apple solution, I'll say only this.  Yes, Macs are at
present, relatively free of this stuff, but not entirely so.  This is
as much to do with writers of anti-social software targeting Windows
more than non-Windows machines, though the Mac is, I believe, a much
better designed system from the ground up.

Its accessibility is another matter entirely, and might become a topic
of discussion here in its own right.  Afraid at the moment we're at
the stage of people trying to make comparisons between it and Windows
and, worse still, the Macs model of access vs. JFW, God help us!  Just
to give a hint of what I mean, the Mac system doesn't use an OSM but
rather is integrated into the operating system.  that's a very
different kettle of fish to what we're used to in Windows, and is one
reason why I think ill-informed people shouldn't criticise 'what they
don't understands as the great man said.

Cheers,

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx