[access-uk] Possible XP SP3 problem

  • From: "Chris Hallsworth" <christopherhallsworth71@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 09:03:36 +0100

Hi all, please help. I downloaded and instaled XP Home SP3 onto my girlfriend's laptop yesterday after being asked to by Windows Update. Everything went well and she's using it fine. However, we've ran into a snag. We've been trying to run manual virus scans with Avast, and everything goes well till a few minutes afterwards, when the computer suddenly shuts off and the laptop won't come on at all until after a few minutes. By "won't come on" I mean the power button does nothing. She's had similar problems in the past, but we thought a new charger would help, but it's even happening when running on battery. Is this a known issue with XP SP3, or is it something sinister, like an overheating processor? It seems that the laptop runs fine until she does disk intensive activities, from my observations anyway. Thanks in advance for the help.

--
Why not join my Blind Hobbyist group? To join, send a blank message to blind-hobbyist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Thanks, Chris