[access-uk] Re: Phone Sockets

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:04:46 +0100

Hi Dean,

As far as I am aware, BT are responsible up to and including their
initial box on your premises.  Indeed I have had BT out myself - at no
cost - when connections in that box itself were suspect.

Adding a broadband modem will add additional load to the line, which
may explain crackling, perhaps due to a suspect connection on their
side of the internal box.  In my case when broadband first went in, it
turned out that the line came up to the house via an underground
armoured cable and into a box attached OUTSIDE the house.  Another
cable then came from that box, though the wall to the internal socket,
a matter of a 11-12 inches of wall.  It was the connection in the
external box which was causing drop outs, and once the engineer
re-made that connection, all was well.

George.