[access-uk] Re: Perkins and other Braillers

How does £14 in 1970 compare with the price of a Perkins now? It is perhaps an impossible question to answer. However, I think it needs to be asked before we start saying the price is a disgrace. Remember too that RNIB pricing policy has also changed since 1970 when we automatically had a two-thirds price reduction on products sold by RNIB.

Iain

From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:01 PM
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Perkins and other Braillers

Hi John
I agree with you partly! However, could price not depend on Supply and
demand! The more the demand for  a product, the lower The production costs
would be.

When I bought my HP laser printer about 15 or so  years ago it cost me
About £700 but now one can buy a good laser jet for about £100 or just over.
So why the price drop?
Because the  demand is far higher now!

So as for the Perkins,  the demand is far lower now, that will Push up
production costs.

Anyway, my  perkins  cost about £14 pounds!
It was given to me by my mum over 40 years ago!
And still works great.

Regards,  Derek