[access-uk] Re: Perkins and other Braillers

Hi Derek, I likewise got my perkins years ago for a fraction of its current price. Although I'm with you to a degree on the supply and demand thing they nevertheless have a world wide monopoly, something that other companies don't have. Like you I paid hundreds of pounds for my first printer back in 92, and my current one was only 50, but look at the tiny share of the printer market each company's got. Another thing to consider is that unlike high tech equipment, which has evolved over the years, driven by competition, and so have ongoing research and development costs the perkins, a low tech thing is just the same as it was when they started. Even the new look model, which they brought out a year or so ago is the same old low tech. If it wasn't for the fact that if people want a braille writer they have to buy a perkins the price would be a fraction of what it is. At least now we have access to other formats, we don't need to use braille. There is also the possibility that the grossly inflated price has cut demand.

                   John.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 12:01 PM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Perkins and other Braillers

Hi John
I agree with you partly! However, could price not depend on Supply and
demand! The more the demand for  a product, the lower The production costs
would be.

When I bought my HP laser printer about 15 or so  years ago it cost me
About £700 but now one can buy a good laser jet for about £100 or just over.
So why the price drop?
Because the  demand is far higher now!

So as for the Perkins,  the demand is far lower now, that will Push up
production costs.

Anyway, my  perkins  cost about £14 pounds!
It was given to me by my mum over 40 years ago!
And still works great.

Regards,  Derek