[access-uk] Re: Overclocking a laptop

  • From: "john coley" <johncoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:17:11 -0000

Mark, without knowing for certain that it isn't already overclocked you'd be very unwise to try. If it's already overclocked you'd fry your machine. It's possible to do, but as I say only if it isn't already overclocked and if you know what you're doing. If you've never overclocked a machine before my advice would be not to mess with it. With a laptop in any case you're not going to see enough increase in performance to make taking the risk worth while. Don't think that just because it doesn't say it's overclocked in the spec that it isn't. I had a Dell 8400 that I had any amount of trouble with, and which gave up the ghost in under 18 months. Dell were no help whatsoever, and it was only after a lot of researching that I found that it had been seriously overclocked. Don't take overclocking lightly. A processor's made to operate at a certain speed. If you're determined to try though be prepared to be minus a laptop.

                   John.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Threadgold" <m.j.threadgold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>