[access-uk] Re: Outlook Express

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:04:27 +0100

Hi Roger,

Just a comment here in addition to my last post.

Recently I was getting an error on our Windows 2003
Enterprise Server.  I had no alternative but to call
Microsoft.  (At £190 + VAT for a support call!!)

The tech. support person looked up the error, and said he
had found reference to a problem caused by an anti-virus
program.  But I was using McAfee Guardian, not the one he
mentioned.

Nevertheless, we stopped all the MacAfee Guardian services,
and the problem went away.

I then contacted McAfee, and cutting a long story short,
they knew about, and fixed, the problem.

Moral of the story.  Errors do not always point to a
specific program, but very often a 3rd party sub-routine
that is used by a number of developers.

George.

file.

> Do you know what the forum you extracted the information
from
> gave as the solution to the problem was? Or where I may go

> for one? I have never used Avast and have used the AVG
free
> service for some time, switching to the paid Pro version
> about a year or so ago. I do a complete virus scan as a
> scheduled task each day and nothing in the way of a virus
is
> being found.
> AVG is checked for updates each day as well. I'm running
XP Home

> Roger
>
> You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

notorious
> > ashServ.exe error on system shutdown with the latest
avast
> > build (4.6.665)?
> > (The error message says something like
> >
> > "The instruction at 0x7c910e03 referenced at memory
> > 0x00000000 could not be read. Click ok to terminate the
> > program" and  the title of the dialog is ""ashServ.exe
> > error".
> >
> > The problem has been dicussed a number of times on this
> > forum, see e.g.
> > http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11945.0 or
> > http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12373.0 or
> > http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13309.0
> >

> > We made some changes in the last version and would be
> > curious if they fixed the problem or not... I'm not too
> > optimistic in this case - but one never knows.
> >

> > Thanks
> > Vlk

message
> > appears stating that OE has encountered a problem and
has to
> > close, do I wish to inform Microsoft. A detail box then
> > appears saying the following:
> >
> > The instruction at "0x7c910e03" referenced memory at
> > "0x74c8255c" The memory could not be "written"
> >
> > Is this familiar to anyone on the list please? If so is
> > there a remedy or do I have to re-install OE?
> >
> > Roger
> >
> > You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
> >
> > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
> > link:-
> > **

> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on
> > the
> > ** immediately-following link:-
> > ** or send a message, to