[access-uk] Orange and Talks

  • From: "Brian Hartgen" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:19:55 +0100

Hi
In summary, last week Orange announced that its wild fire service would be
withdrawn for a whole variety of reasons. As a result, a campaign web site
was launched I think primarily to ensure that visually impaired people were
adequately compensated for what has been a useful service for managing calls
and contacts.

According to an Orange spokesperson who was speaking on In Touch yesterday
evening, if a customer of Orange is using wild fire, Orange will freely
update the phone and "cover the cost" of a copy of the talks software. The
phone will obviously be one which is capable of using the talks software.

In my view, this is more than fair, and will obviously give people the full
benefit of access to their phone at no cost to the user.  My wife was a user
of the wild fire service, and although I contacted Orange, we are not moving
forward very fast at the moment.  I was wondering whether anyone else had
successfully agreed with Orange that their phone could be upgraded, and
could maybe tell me:
A. Is there a specific number you need to call in order to move this
forward?
B. Which phone are they upgrading customers to?
Presumably there will be some information about this within the in touch
fact sheet, but as of the time of writing this is not on the web site.

Just thought I would pass this news along in case anyone did not know, and
maybe someone could share their experiences as well.

Brian Hartgen
E-Mail:  brian@xxxxxxxxxxx
MSN:  brian@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype:  brianhartgen